When in a collision the first thing you will need is an accident report from the police department in that jurisdiction.
What To Do When you are In An Accident
Immediately After the Accident
- Stay safe. Assess the situation for your immediate safety.
- Stay in your car if there is a risk of injury or if moving might put you at risk of further injury.
- Move to a safe location if your car is creating a safety hazard or obstructing traffic.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident!
- Determine if there are any injuries.
- Call 911 immediately to report the accident and get help to the scene, if needed.
- Follow any instructions the police give you.
- Call your insurance company.
- Follow any instructions given to you by your agent.
- Request a tow through your insurance company, if possible.
- Note the name of the tow company and location to which your vehicle is towed.
At the Scene: Gathering Information
- Be courteous and polite, but do not admit fault.
- Take the names and car insurance information of any drivers involved in the accident.
- Only ask for contact information if the other drivers do not provide insurance information.
- Get names and contact information for any witnesses to the accident.
- Provide your name and insurance information to the police and to other driver(s).
Give out ONLY the following information:
- Your name.
- Your vehicle’s make, model, year, color and VIN.
- The name of your insurance company, as well as your:
- Agent’s name and phone.
- Policy number.
- DO NOT allow your license or registration to be photographed.
- DO NOT provide your address or contact information to other drivers, passengers, or witnesses.
At the Scene: Documenting the Accident
If you have a smart phone or camera, take photos to document the scene if it is safe to do so. Include pictures of:
- License plates of involved vehicles.
- Damage to your vehicle.
- Damage to other vehicles.
- Damage to property other than vehicles.
- Objects at the scene, including accident debris, skid marks, fallen branches, etc.
- Street signs or other landmarks to identify the accident location.
- Any contributing factors to the accident, such as obscured traffic signs.
If you have an accident report form, fill in as many details as possible at the scene. If not, write down:
- Time and date.
- Weather and traffic conditions.
- Description of the accident.
- Description of injuries and damage.
- Details of police or emergency involvement.
After the Accident: Next Steps
- Get a copy of any accident reports or incidents reports filed by the police and other drivers to assist in settling your claim.
- Follow instructions from your auto insurance agent.
- Always write down names of any investigators, including police officers or insurance claims adjustors.
- Whenever you speak to an insurance company representative, note the date, the name of the person, and a brief description of the conversation.
- Keep receipts of all expenditures, including transportation, parking costs, and repair costs.
Utilize Our Nation Wide Network of 5000 Law Enforcement Agencies To Get Your Free Accident Report
It’s pretty simple. Just give us a few basic pieces of information and we will get you your accident police report for you free of charge and if you like we can answer any other question you may have including how to protect your interests moving forward with your insurance company and the other parties insurance company for free.
Ask US About Your Accident And Your Insurance Claim
We know you will have plenty of questions about your insurance claim questions like will my insurance company pay my claim in full or, can I go see a doctor? We are here to help through the uncertain times you are experiencing with free professional legal advise.
Get A Professional Opinion
Feeling a little lost and not sure what to do next? Our professional legal team can get you pointed in the right direction and help you avoid the obstacles that the big Insurance giants will put in front of you.
See What 50 Years Of Experience Can Do For You
As a family run business we know the value of keeping family safe out of harms way. But when the unfortunate happens you our your loved ones be glad we are on your side and ready to help. It’s like having your own personal army ready to launch into battle for you.
“I had no time to deal with all the fallout after my accident so these guys made it easy they assisted my thought the whole process including getting my accident report for me free of charge. Thanks Chris for being there for me.”Andrew Moey
“My insurance company kept calling and calling and calling. I just wanted all the noise to stop! I could barely take all of the craziness. If it weren’t for Scranton and the team helping me through all of the piles of paperwork I think I might have just given up. All I did was call for my free accident report and BAM they got all my stuff straighten up and told me how to keep from getting ripped off by my insurance company.”Taylor Mecum
“What can I say other than they got me the report almost the same day I requested it. Then they gave me the information I needed to get to a Doctor and start recovering from my injuries.”Jeffery Campbell